Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia

 Visit the Cathedral of Barcelona. monuments in the Ghotic Quarter. Tourist information about the cathedral of Santa Eulalia
The facade of the cathedral. Author: Cristian Atudoroae (Barcelona Pictures)
The gothic cathedral of Barcelona, seat of the Archbishop of Barcelona and declared a National Historical-Artistic Monument, dominates the Gothic Quarter with its majesty. It is dedicated to the Holy Cross and to Santa Eulalia, co-patron saint of the city. The exterior has a great simplicity of lines, except the facade.
The cathedral ensemble consists in the temple and the cloister perfectly united. The basilica is formed by three naves of the same height with a single apse and is 90 meters long by 40 meters wide.
Highlights
The choir. The impressive choir of the cathedral stands out for the 14th - 15th century carved stalls, with the coats-of-arms of the knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece painted on backrests.
The crypt, located under the presbytery, is presided by the sepulcher of the Santa Eulalia carved in the 14th century.
The Neogothic main façade, the most recent part of the building, built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries by the architect José Oriol Mestres.With a width of 40 meters, the facade has a central door with a large Gothic arch with archivolts presided over by the great 70 meter high dome and flanked by two towers with high pinnacles. The ornamentation is Gothic in style, with a multitude of sculpted angels and saints.
The cloister, built during the 14th and 15th centuries. It has 25 meters of length per side and each of the four galleries that surround it has the width of 6 meters. In the middle we find an fine garden.
The stained glass windows, made in the 14th, 15th and 20th centuries.
The high altar, consecrated in the year 1337.
The 27 interior chapels, with altarpieces of gothic, baroque and modernist styles.
The royal tombs that hold the remains of some soberanes of the Barcelona County and the Kingdom of Aragon, such as Ramon Berenguer and Alfons III.
The Old Chapter House, rectangular shaped, built in 1407, also serving as mausoleum for the Saint Olegario, former bishop of Barcelona.
Sant Ivo Portal, the oldest gateway. Until the end of the 19th century was the main entrance to the cathedral.
The New Chapter House, 17th century. Houses the Cathedral Museum.
The organ, built in 1538.
Contact
+
Contact
Address: La Seu Square (Plaça de la Seu) - Barcelona 08002
Tel.: +34 933 428 262
Email: info@catedralbcn.org
Website: www.catedralbcn.org
Timetable
+
Timetable
Working days: 8am to 7.30pm
Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays: 8am to 8pm

Cloister
Everyday: 8.30am to 7pm
Prices
+
Prices
The visit is free except in the interval between 1pm and 5.30pm (1pm - 5pm on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays), when a donation must be paid.
Donation admission: 7 €
Donation admission for froups: 5 € / person
Visit to the choir: 3 €
Visit to the roof: 3 €
Public transport
+
Public transport
Metro. Jaume I Station (L4 line).
Bus. 17, 45, 120 and V17 lines.
Location
+
Location
GPS: 41°23'03.5"N 2°10'34.0"E / 41.384320, 2.176101
Nearby
Attractions
Hotels
Attractions
Hotels