Museum of the History of Barcelona

hall museum history barcelona roman vestiges
tourist information history museum city barcelona archaeological remains underground
The archaeological site of the Barcelona History Museum. Photo credit:
Museum of the History of Barcelona (MUHBA) is a dynamic institution whose mission is to research, reveal and expose the historical heritage and history of Barcelona from its origins to the present day. The museum has its main headquarters in the Padellàs House, a Gothic palace located in the heart of the old Barcelona, and manages several patrimonial centers distributed in the districts and neighborhoods of the city. The museum's collection integrates an important number of objects related to the millennial history of Barcelona which is increased every year with new objects from archaeological interventions.

The fact that determined the origin of the Museum of History of Barcelona was the stone-by-stone transfer of the Padellàs House, carried out in 1931, from its original location to the King's Square. The works in the new location have brought to light remains of the ancient Roman and Visigothic city. The museum was inaugurated on April 14, 1943.

The visit to the museum begins with the archaeological site of 4,000 m2 located in the basement of the square, which preserves vestiges of the 1st century BC to the 7th century AD. The visit continues in the rooms of the county / royal palace with the permanent exhibition "Barcelona in the high middle age" (8th - 13th century). In the same palace can be visited the Tinell Hall and the Chapel of Saint Agatha. In the Padellàs House are located temporary exhibitions dedicated to modern and contemporary Barcelona.

Monumental complex of Plaça del Rei

Plaça del Rei (King's Square), one of the most charming corners of Barcelona, is a quiet monumental square located in the Gothic Quarter. It is surrounded by impressive Gothic and Renaissance buildings. The most significant buildings of the complex are the Royal Palace (Palau Reial Major), residence and seat of the government of the counts of Barcelona and the kings of Aragon in the city, the Royal Chapel of Santa Àgata (14th century), Palace of the Lieutenant (Palau del Lloctinent), a Renaissance 16th century palace, and the Padellàs House.

Plaça del Rei, s/n
Barcelona 08022
Tel.: +34 932 562 100
Opening times
Tuesday to Saturday: 10am - 7pm
Sunday: 10am - 8pm
Closed: Mondays, January 1, May 1, June 24 and December 25.
General admission: 7 €
Free admission with Barcelona Card